logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Issue with boundaries

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Fri Sep 7 21:24:47 BST 2012

Hi

> You are right. It is not required. Anyhow it is very likely that a user
> wants to create the index if the bounds option is set.

Yes, although not necessarily in the same run. I usually create the
tiles first and then the index. But then I am probably not a typical
user.

Even if you are not creating an index, the --bounds option is still
useful and results in a better map.
The warning should almost be the other way around, creating an
index without using a bounds file leads to a poor index.

> At least a warning should be reasonable. But we don't have a good place
> for warnings. The log system is rarely used and it must be configured to
> show warnings. Stderr should printout errors only?!

Agree, we shouldn't use the logging for warnings.
Although in fact currently there is a mixture of log.error() and
System.{err,out} in use for errors and warnings.
I'd prefer to use System.err for user messages with the
message prefixed with "Warning" if appropriate - one day someone
may be motivated to create system to print messages with
internationalisation.

..Steve