logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Issue with boundaries

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Fri Sep 7 19:50:14 BST 2012

>> Hi
>>
>> Why is the index option required? No reason that I can think of.
>> The test that prevents the bounds being used when the index option
>> is not set should just be removed in my opinion.
>>
>> ..Steve
>
> You are right. It is not required. Anyhow it is very likely that a user
> wants to create the index if the bounds option is set.
>
> When setting bounds but not index one is able to use location specific
> style rules (e.g. use country specific types for highway=motorway or
> highway=residential).
>
> At least a warning should be reasonable. But we don't have a good place
> for warnings. The log system is rarely used and it must be configured to
> show warnings. Stderr should printout errors only?!
>
> WanMil

Ok, I have jumbled some things. Sorry.
The index option only defines that a *searchable* address index is
created. Without the index it is still possible to assign an address to
each POI. And at this point it makes sense to set the bounds option.

So it makes no sense to issue a warning or an error if bounds is set but
index not.

Another question:
After reading the source code I think that a POI must have a city name.
It is not possible to set the country and/or region without a city name.
Is that correct? Should we use an empty "" city name for such cases to
be able to assign the region and country info to a POI?

WanMil