logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Attention -- mkgmap Built maps with data as of today or newer need NEW: Bounds and Sea Files!!!! and need to be put under ODBL

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Thu Sep 6 09:18:41 BST 2012

Just a warning, so you don't mess up the license. All  maps with data
built of today or later, need to be put under odbl. So change your
license terms accordingly.
Also of course the old boundary files, and/or coastline/sea files, need
to be new and under odbl.

So for right now, best don't download new map data, and be careful not
to violate any license until new boundary and sea files are published
(under odbl), and mkgmap has changed (a switch??) the license
information it adds to be compatible with odbl.

Which actually leads to the next thing? Does anyone know, what mkgmap
created maps actually are? I assume the .img are a database (except the
overview map, because it doesn't contain any information that could
classify it as a database), and hence need to be put under odbl. But
what is the map overall? (eg a setup.exe, or a gmapsupp.img which
contains a .typfile, published under a different license?)

Should we post this on legal talk, or does anyone know how the odbl
license changeover, affects mkgmap created osm maps?

--
keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org