logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Dead End Check

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Thu Aug 30 14:32:52 BST 2012

While wondering how to best clean up all those micromapping
footway/service/track/path stuff, and thinking about the mkgmap::length
filter, I got the idea, that mkgmap got an dead end check.
Is there anywhere a description of how it works?

Together with mkgmap:length filtering, it could come very very handy in
deciding which ways to delete, and which not. (as in only delete short
dead end ways).
(even though I would really prefer people to use a tag like
micromapping=yes for all those stupid ways, which shouldn't be in a
general purpose map).

Ways as seen here below in the pic, simply shouldn't be included into
general purpose maps (hope the pics are small enough for the mailing list):

(above image is  ~ 165x60m), so many of theese footways are an
astonishing 4m long, all are plain highway=footway without any other
tags. And they are all dead end.
At least the three 4m ones, I would like to get rid of. Why is this so
bad? Well if you make a map without buildings, you'll see the disaster,
short ways going nowhere:

--
keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org