logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mp/hh / km/h m or other units in maxspeed or distance keys

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Aug 28 11:03:06 BST 2012

On 28.08.2012 10:59, Charlie Ferrero wrote:

> On 28 Aug 2012, at 11:36, Felix Hartmann <extremecarver at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well it's quite a long time, there has been no discussion about this,
>> however it's more and more common to put the unit into the main key.
>> Could mkgmap do a clean up on this?
>>
>> It would be great if mkgmap could do the following:
>> Remove any non numeric keys (and not "." or "," )  and place them into a
>> new key called mkgmap:unit=....
>> Do this for maxspeed, distance, height, width (propose other keys I may
>> have missed).
>>
>> As I'm sure this would take quite some time, it should be an option, and
>> there should be a style-file called units_removed where you can specify
>> the keys for which mkgmap should do this.
>>

>> Of course an implementation of automatically translating mp/h to km/h
>> and other things would be great to have too, but the above is IMHO first
>> of main importance. The problem is simply that commands like maxspeed>50
>> or distance<10 don't work otherwise.
>>
>> --
>> keep on biking and discovering new trails
>>
>> Felix
>> openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org
>>

> Isn't this a problem with the OSM data entry that would be better solved by a bot working on the data? Or are you just looking for a pragmatic solution through mkgmap?
Nope, because when I proposed to move units to their own key value, I
got only disagreements. Seems the general opinion is highly in favour of
putting the unit into the value, hence mkgmap needs to work around it to
make it usable. ( I don't know if it does, for the current maxspeed
stuff (which is anyhow IMHO AFAIK still heavily flawed, in so far that
it adjusts the road_speed up, while it would be much better if it only
decreases the road_speed).