logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] access=permissive question

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Thu Aug 9 18:45:35 BST 2012

Minko <ligfietser at online.nl> writes:

> [...]

The real question is what access=yes means.

> A mapper who fills in this edit form (highway=footway, general access
> permissive) is according to mkgmap opening this way for
> cars. (highway=footway, foot=yes, access=permissive, so access could
> not set to no)

Just because potlatch does something doesn't make it right or wrong.
We have to figure out semantics.

> So my opinion stays, in case of access=permissive, don't set this to
> yes but delete the access rule otherwise you are ruining the routing.

That's adjusting mkgmap to interpret tags according to semantics that
match how potlatch is, which skips the step of understanding and getting
agreement on the tagging semantic.

It's pretty clear from

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access

that access=yes "describe[s] a general access restriction that applies
to all transport modes."

So
  highway=footway access=permissive
indeed means that the way is intended principally for foot traffic but
that one can use cars, horses, and bicycles.

Potlatch should be setting

  foot=permissive

instead; this probably needs to be brought up on tagging@ or talk@
because there has to be broad agreement about what tags mean among
mappers, editors, and data consumers.

Greg