logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] _link roads speed limit needs increasing

From Peter Hendricks beddhist at gmail.com on Wed Aug 8 08:24:11 BST 2012

On 6/08/2012 0:25, Bernhard Hiller wrote:
> The ramps connect a secondary to a trunk. Hence, I'd tag them as
> trunk_link, not secondary_link. That could result in correct routing.

While I agree with that it wouldn't solve the problem if the ramps
connected two secondary roads.

> Since the ramps are very long in that special case, setting a speed
> limit explicitly might also help.

It might work, but doesn't address the fundamental problem that the
ramps' default speed limit is lower than that of a dirt track.

> Maybe the Garmin device did not reognize that U-turn correctly, or the

Mapsource routes the same.

> "penalty" for a U-turn is to small. Which tags are required that a
> U-turn is recognized as a U-turn?

I'm afraid I haven't been able to find an answer to that question. I
suspect that it doesn't work on dual carriageways with non-NT maps.

Ramps created from trunk_link have a higher speed limit and I think that
the other _link roads should also have them, for the same reasons.

Kind regards,
Peter.