logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] My involvement in mkgmap and the default style

From Jaromír Mikeš mira.mikes at seznam.cz on Tue Jul 24 22:08:03 BST 2012

> Od: Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela at iki.fi>

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 09:18:08PM +0200, Jaromír Mikeš wrote:

> >I am using qlandkartegt for comparing, but default map looks very
> >different in qlandkarte then in my Garmin.
> >Probably because I need TYP file in same dir fo qlandkartegt shows map
> >corectly.
> >How can I get default TYP file?
>
> Long time ago, I got the impression from Extremecarver that each Garmin
> unit can have a different built-in "TYP file", which is used when no TYP
> file is included in the map-set. My experience is limited to the Edge
> 705 and the GPSMap 60CSx.

Huh ... that surprise me. I thought defaut.TYP is build-in mkgmap.jar
In this case is case it is very unpredictable which way things will be displayed on user's unit.

For e.g. I have garmin 78 which is meant for marine ... I can imagine that build-in TYP is tuned for displaying sea items,
but I use it mostly for outdoor.

> I do not care that much about the map
> presentation, because I rarely go off-road. POI search is more important
> to me.

My preferences are different I like to visit remote places and there many landscape information are important like:
type of vegetation, peaks of mountains, direction of streams, all types of shelters, springs and so on.

> Well, I think it could be useful to introduce a TYP file that goes with
> the default style. What do you think?

Definitely! It looks like only way to guarantee same presentation for all user on any unit.
And also same look in qlandkartegt. Please have a look this short thread.
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=203731.12204.11564-10809-1738389259-1343132202%40seznam.cz&forum_name=qlandkartegt-users

mkgmap has compiler now so it can be distributed even in txt format.
It can be maybe easier for maintaining.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/typ_compile

I even think that later there could be more TYP file for different usages.

best regards

mira