logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Subdivision width is 36627 at 3230916/1236133

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sun Apr 22 22:19:20 BST 2012

I think (for quite a while) that the subdivision split code requires a
complete rework to get rid of problems with it.

A broad algorithm how subdivisons are created is:
1. Create subdivisions with maximum allowed size
2. Add all elements to their subdivision. An element is added to a
subdivision if its center point lied within the subdivision.
3. For all subdivisions that are too big: Divide them into two halves
and assign the elements again.

The fact that lines and shapes do not have one point only is completely
ignored. So it might be possible that the center point lies within a
subdivison but the bounding box of the element exhausts the max size of
a subdivision.

I think the algorithm should be the other way round:
Create a subdivision with minimum size and add (in an intelligent way)
elements until the subdivision is full.

The problem is "in an intelligent way" because there are multiple
restrictions for a subdivison so that it is not so easy to optimize the
algorithm. I started with an improvement some time ago but did not
finish it. Maybe I can dig out the old source code and post it so that
you can have a look on it and use it as one idea how to improve the
situation.

So long if you are interested in understanding what's happening there
start with the classes
MapSplitter
MapArea
all filter classes in uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.filters
and of course Subdivision

WanMil