logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with splitter

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Mar 13 16:33:18 GMT 2012

Hi,

the current implementation of splitter doesn't even try to detect if a polygon contains
a split tile. In short it works like this:
a) read osm data and calculate the tile areas.
b) Close file and start reading again
c) Distribute all nodes, each node is written to a maximum of 4 different tiles.
d) for ways, look at which tiles the points of the way were written, and write the
way to all of them
e) for relations, look at which tiles the nodes and points of the rel were written
and write the rel to all of them

There is  no calculation in splitter that tries to connect the ways of a relation
to find out what is inside or outside of the relation.
So, if you look at one tile, you see only ways and rels that have at least one point
in it.

I think it is quite easy to implement a 3rd pass in splitter that
a) detects to what tiles a relation was written and makes sure that all
members (ways and nodes) belonging to this relation are also written to each tile
(if not already done)
a) detects to what tiles a way was written and makes sure that at least the 1st and
last node of the way is written to each tile.

This will allow mkgmap to calculate the details within the tile area as well as the
multipolygons that have at least one point in that tile without any guessing.
Maybe I also find a way to detect those ways and relations that may completely contain
a tile. If I see this right, we just have to calculate the bounding box of all
points and check if the tile area intersects with it This will find all good candidates,
but maybe requires a lot more cpu time.

Gerd