logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with splitter

From Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de on Tue Mar 13 15:06:03 GMT 2012

Hi Gerd,

On Tue, Mar 13, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> > I'm not that sure option 2 will really blow up the tile size and
> > CPU cost. Today, most people creating a map use a very huge number
> > for --overlap to avoid this kind of problems. And how many multipolygons
> > are really that big that they go over several tiles?
>
> I fear the administrative boundaries and coastlines.

You are right, this could become a real problem :(

I think the coastlines are already incomplete for europe if you
don't work on the planet file. Since they are no longer closed,
would they really end in every tile?

Of course if you have an extract for great britain, or even
more worse, for complete north america. Especially in the last
case, you will have about 1500 tiles all containing the boundaries
and the coastline.

Maybe the solution would be to merge mkgmap and tilesplitter
and do the split on the processed mkgmap data. But I don't
know enough about how this works to know if this is doable
at all.

  Thorsten