logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problem with splitter

From Wolfgang Hammel wolfgang.hammel at gmx.de on Sun Mar 11 23:14:42 GMT 2012

Hi,

yes you are right, this is a splitter problem which
is already known.

As you can see in your example, the lake is split in a way that requires it
to be split more than once along the bounding rectangle.

see : http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2011q3/012119.html
and http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2011q3/012120.html

This prob. may occur, when the polygon to be split has more than two
intersections with the bounding
rectangle and consists of some ways that have all their nodes outside
the clipping rectangle.
As lakes and riverbanks may have curved outlines this can occasionally
occur when the
bounding rectangle intersects the polygon in a way such that the clipped
polygon falls into more than one
(or probably two) parts.

I usually take the following manual procedure to circumvent the problem
when it occurs.

1. Run Tile splitter once and create a map
2. check the map for floodings along large riverbanks or lakes
3. edit the file areas.list (back up the original one createt by splitter)
     in order to move the border of the tiles away from the offending
riverbank or lake.
    But take care: you have to modify the corner coordinates of at least two
   areas in a consistent way in order to get a map without holes
   The modification of the coordinates should be done in multiples of 0x800.
3a. If needed you can visualize the splitting rectangles when you use
the --write-kml option in step 1
       paste the complete contents of the generated kml-file here:
http://display-kml.appspot.com/
4. rerun splitter using the option --split-file=<edited areas.list>
5. I use the same edited areas.list later again after I have downloaded
new OSM-data
    so this manual procedure has to be done only once for a certain area

Maybe someone has enough time to enhance TileSpltter, I unfortunately
don't have at the moment.

But anyhow: All those working on splitter and mkgmap are doing a great
job. Thank you!

Wolfgang