logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] gpx track files do not work on routable maps

From Eric Fernandez zeb at zebulon.org.uk on Wed Mar 7 16:36:15 GMT 2012

Hi,

I have done further tests that show that indeed there is something
happening at the level of routing depending on the basemap installed
"under" the OSM map.
I purchased my Edge 705 second hand, and the seller updated the
basemap to the Garmin Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap NR 5.01 (41MB).
The stock basemap (as found on the CD) was actually the "Atlantic
Routable Highway Basemap v3 3.00" (12MB). When I replaced the DEM NR
5.01 gmapbmap.img with the RHB v3, then navigation from GPX files was
close to perfect!

To confirm this, I downloaded other basemaps available from Garmin
website and got this result:
1. From iQue 3600 = World Routable Highway Basemap v3 3.00 (30MB) ->
navigation is messed up
2. From XT Mobile = World Autoroute Basemap v4.01 (30MB) -> navigation
is messed up
3. From XT Free Non routable = Worldwide Roads Basemap Basemap v2 ->
navigation works!

Lessons learnt: there seems to be an issue with more recent basemaps
on the Edge 705, which interfere with navigation using an OSM
generated with mkgmap. Note that when a basemap leads to issues, the
navigation is correct with both OSM alone or basemap alone, but not
together!

Still, there are some glitches with short tracks or line breaks, but
they may be entirely different issues.

For Edge owners, I would appreciate if you could let me know which
basemap version you have (it is displayed at start up, quite quickly).

Thanks,
Eric