logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Street name search in gmapsupp.img generated via --index option

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Mon Mar 5 15:26:43 GMT 2012

Hi

> It works! However street name search string need to start exactly with
> the street name prefix entered in OSM, example: for a street (via in
> italian) named "Via John Fitzgerald Kennedy" - known by everyone as
> Kennedy Street (i.e without the first name) - I've to tape exactly "Via
> John..." while using Garmin maps I can just enter "Kennedy" to get all
> the streets containing the word "Kennedy"

Yes this is a problem. I know roughly how the index can be constructed
to allow you to search on any part of the name, but it is quite a big
change. It is on my list of things to do though.

This is particularly a problem for languages where the word for 'street'
come first which is the priority to fix.

..Steve