logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] newbie question: How to use mkgmap?

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at orangecorreo.es on Sat Mar 3 21:38:42 GMT 2012

El 03/03/12 21:33, Hadmut Danisch escribió:
> Hi,
>
> this list is said to be suitable for*any*  questions about mkgmap.
>
> I'm trying to create my own img files for a garmin eTrex (instead of
> downloading from the tile server). For some reason it does not work the
> way I expect, and even by reading all web pages I could find about usage
> of mkgmap, I did not find the problem:
>
>    wget -O muenchen.osm
> "http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/map?bbox=11.54,48.14,11.543,48.145"
>    java -jar mkgmap-r2232/mkgmap.jar muenchen.osm
>
> produces an img-file of just 9216 bytes, there must be something wrong.
The bounding box is really small. The img size is correct for so few data.
>   And
>

>    java -jar mkgmap-r2232/mkgmap.jar --index --gmapsupp muenchen.osm
>
> even aborts:
>
> SEVERE (LocationHook): muenchen.osm: Disable LocationHook because
> boundary directory does not exist. Dir: bounds
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
>      at java.util.ArrayList.elementData(ArrayList.java:338)
>      at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:351)

mkgmap is complaining about no bounds found. I think it should complete
compilation though. Try downloading boundaries from [1] and placing them
in a directory called bounds in the same folder than mkgmap. Your
command worked for me with no errors.
> Is there anywhere a step-by-step-introduction? I did not find any hint
> about what I am doing wrong and what options are really required to
> generate img files.

You can have a look at [2] as a start point.
[1] http://www.navmaps.eu/index.php/developers/bound
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/How_to_create_a_map