logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] edge 705 stuck with cities index

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Fri Feb 24 13:18:20 GMT 2012

> This worked and do not suffer the freezes when listing the nearest

There are really four overlapping issues here, so let break them down so
they can be dealt with individually.

1. A bad map that causes freezing on some devices.

I want to avoid this no matter what the input data is. It seems
that avoiding putting unnamed cities into the output file is
sufficient in this case, so that is what I think we should do.

2. The add-poi-to-area option used to add a poi only if there was not
    one there already.

I don't think the option does this any more? It think that
was a useful feature. It may be more difficult to do now that they
are created earlier on however.

3. The default style should be prepared to use place_name for places
    created from areas

4. The OSM data may be wrong.

Well, we mostly have to deal with it as we find it, unless it doesn't match
reality. I don't even think that have a poi for a town and an area for the
same town is a bad thing.

..Steve