logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Precompiled coastlines

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Thu Feb 23 18:38:23 GMT 2012

> Hi,
>
> some weeks ago WanMil wrote

>> All in all: Please keep the format of the bnd files as simple as
>> possible and think about using it for other purposes. e.g. the current
>> format could easily be used for coastline processing - one can
>> precompile the coastlines and mgkmap could load the sea areas from the
>> precompiled sea file. This would be great to have (a big!! performance
>> and quality improvement). But someone needs to implement that.
>>

> I looked at the sources now and see two ways how to do that:
> 1) We can write the result of SeaGenerator.joinWays() or
> 2) We can write the result of SeaGenerator.end()
>
> pro 1): this will produce files that are usable for all, no matter what
> optionsthe user wants to use in
> generate-sea parm, so it can be downloaded like the precompiled boundaries.
> pro 2): this should reduce the CPU time even more, but every user has to
> create his own file(s)

Hi Gerd,

why must each user create his own files when using 2)?

I started to implement the coastline preparer some days ago. (only one
evening but I was able to create the first prepared files) I exactly
used the 2nd solution. There will be a lot of room for improvements but
in a very basic way it works.

I didn't spend very much time in this so I don't mind if you want to
implement your own solution. Please let me know.

WanMil