logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Serious Bug - Mkgmap creating map that puts news GPS (confirmed etrex 30, Oregon 550) into bootloop

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Thu Feb 23 13:44:31 GMT 2012

Well two days ago someone told me, that if he puts my map onto his GPS
it's not booting anymore (or bootlooping after trying to load maps).

The really strange thing is, I cannot find out at all why this happens.
If I only transfer half of the map, it is not bootlooping, if I transfer
the other half, not bootlooping. If I transfer both halves as separate
gmapsupp.img files, still okay. However if I transfer the map as one
full gmapsupp.img - then neither Oregon 550 (newest beta firmware) nor
etrex 30 (several firmwares tried) doesn't start anymore.
It does not matter if I create the gmapsupp.img with Mapsource,
Mapinstall/Basecamp or mkgmap. It does not matter if I create --index
with mkgmap on sending it.
And it's not about the integrated contourlines (7*.img) -- exclude them,
same problem.

So here is the file for testing (do not install it on internal memory,
else your GPS device may be ready for  sending it in to Garmin).
_*/ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/openstreetmap/openmtbmap/mtbfrance_broke.exe/*_
(note simply unpack this installer with 7zip-full on Linux - its lzma
packed).

Note, old GPS devices like Vista HCx cope fine with this map.

I more or less give up trying to find the fault. However as this is the
first time since a very long time, mkgmap created maps can potentially
break a Garmin GPS - I post it to the list without knowing a way to
figure the problem out.
It has nothing to do with my style either I would suppose, only map for
me where this happens.