logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] edge 705 stuck with cities index

From Eric Fernandez zeb at zebulon.org.uk on Wed Feb 22 15:48:42 GMT 2012

2012/2/22 aighes <osm at aighes.de>:
> Am 22.02.2012 16:32, schrieb Eric Fernandez:
>> 2012/2/22 aighes<osm at aighes.de>:
>>> The bug is in osm-data.
>> Do you mean the code that is in ./src/uk/me/parabola/mkgmap/reader/osm
>> of the mkgmap source archive?
> No, it is in the osm-data which you used for generating your map. If
> there is a polygon then there shouldn't be a node for the same object.
>
> Henning

Ah ok, so the problem is the map itself: a polygon should get the name
of the village/hamlet etc and no node should be created on the map.
Unfortunately, this seems not be enforced on OSM, considering the
number of cases on the GB map. And this is a problem on some Garmin
devices. Is there any way to automatically correct this at the level
of OSM? At the end of the day, it is the normalisation of the map
which is affected there.

Incidentally does this mean I should not request a fix for mkgmap on
this mailing list? Maybe it would be useful to get a warning, or a
supplementary option which filters the unnamed areas? At the end of
the day, this only occurs with --add-pois-to-areas, where an area is
created but the poi name is blank. Or maybe, could --add-pois-to-area
be improved to discard blank names?

Eric