logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Question reg. precompiled bounds

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Wed Jan 25 18:17:23 GMT 2012

> On Jan 25, 2012, at 9:52 AM, WanMil wrote:
>>
>> A postal_code relation catches all nodes and ways and it has to be
>> tagged once. In constrast you have N elements all tagged individual.
>> The chances are much higher that there are one or more typo errors in
>> the elements than there is one in the relation.
>>

> In theory this is the best
>
>> Anyhow postal_code relations need to be better maintained in the OSM
>> database.
>>

> relations are constantly broken in OSM and practically this doesn't work so well. having individual tags provides redundancy and can be used to verify consistency of the relation.

mkgmap is not a consistency checker. That's the purpose of other apps.
We have to decide for one source (or better for an order of sources). So
if you don't trust the postal_code relations it should not be integrated
into the precompiled bounds. That would be ok for me.

But I think the other way round (first use the tags of elements and then
use the postal_code relations) does not really make sense for me. Either
trust the relation or not.

WanMil