logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Associating addr:housenumber with a street

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sun Jan 22 19:52:20 GMT 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:11:57AM +0200, Rich wrote:
>i prefer setting addresses for the building ways, but that's not really
>feasible if one building has several housenumbers assigned, of course.

What does Garmin allow in the house number field? Does it allow numbers
and letters and some separator? For example, if we have
addr:housenumber=4 on a building polygon, and the polygon has several
building=entrance nodes, with ref=A, ref=B, ref=C, the entrances could
be 4A, 4B, 4C. If the ref were 1,2,3, then the entrances could be 4-1,
4-2, 4-3 or 4 Apt. 1, 4 Apt. 2, 4 Apt. 3.

There are different numbering schemes used, even within a single
country. In Finland, we could have apartments 4A1, 4A2, 4A3, 4A4, 4B5,
4B6, 4B7, 4B8 in a small two-entrance block house (4 apartments
reachable from each staircase). If each apartment had its own direct
entrance from outdoors, then it would be 4A, 4B, 4C, ..., 4H or 4 Apt. 1
through 4 Apt. 8. If the property was split from an originally bigger
property and the multi-entrance house was assigned the "base number" of
4B, then you would replace "4" with "4B" in the above.

>general osm view seems to be that city & country are not encouraged to
>be used as they should be possible to derive from other (border) data

Right, the city&country can be fetched from the boundary data, if it is
available.

The addr:postcode can be trickier. Sometimes, a postcode boundary
consists of suburbs (or parts thereof) in two adjacent towns. Also, the
post may assert copyright on the postcode data, and could make noise if
someone defined the postcode boundaries in OSM. This probably varies a
lot between countries.

	Marko