logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [Patch v3] LocationHook with new Quadtree

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Jan 14 08:36:41 GMT 2012

Hi WanMil,

regarding further optimization of the quadtree (presuming we can correct remaining errors):

I think we have two options:
1) Create and calculate it at runtime (as it is now) . In this case the goal must be to keep the creation time and answering time short
2) Calculate it in BoundaryPreparer and save it in the .bnd files (with a new or extended format). In this case we can avoid higher calculation time if that means reducing redundancy.
With precompiled quadtrees the LocationHook just has to create a small master-quadtree and load required parts into it.

The quadtree in my patch probably contains a lot of redundant information because tiles with admin-level=2 or =4 will cover big parts of the tree, and the information is (almost always) already
contained in the smaller areas because I use the information from the lies_in tags. I did not try it, but I expect that the merge() process result should be the same if we don't use
the lies_in information.
If we move the quadtree to the preparer, we can omit the calculation of the lies_in tags (I think they are not needed elsewhere), but we should try to avoid saving redundant information.

If we can save the quadtree in a format that can be loaded faster than the time that is now needed to load the .bnd files plus calculating the quadtree, I'd vote for optimizing it for the preparer.
Does that make sense?

Ciao,
Gerd