logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Why are stiles and gates marked as "Pillar" on my Garmin?

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sun Dec 18 20:10:07 GMT 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 01:16:35PM +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
>The title says it all. I noticed the word appearing on my Garmin
>before, when out walking along paths added by somebody else and
>thinking that it was a little curious. Now, I find that stiles that I
>have set nodes to along footpaths that I have added, are also called
>pillars on my Garmin. So are some gates that I added to paths, although
>other gates don't appear at all.
>
>Can something be done to fix this?

Yes, the translation is defined in the default style.

What would your suggested fix be? That gates should be displayed as
well? Or that stiles should be removed from the default style?

As a bicyclist who occasionally tows a trailer, I am interested in any
barriers. We do not have stiles over here, but there often are two
bollards spaced about 1 meter apart, for preventing motor vehicle
traffic. Alternatively, at the end of a 3 meter wide cycleway/footway
there is a half-gate with about 1 meter wide "hole" in it.

These barriers are often used for making residential streets no-through
for cars but allow bicycles and pedestrians to take shortcuts. Often it
is more pleasant to ride or walk on quiet residential roads rather than
on a cycleway next to a secondary or primary road. This seems to be a
fairly new development in Finland. Some residential areas are true
dead-ends for all modes of transportation.

Best regards,

	Marko