logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Why are stiles and gates marked as "Pillar" on my Garmin?

From SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk on Sun Dec 18 16:30:19 GMT 2011

On 18/12/2011 13:16, David Fletcher wrote:
> Can something be done to fix this? Is it associated with mkgmap or the
> service that Lambertus kindly provides?

I'd expect that that would be it.  With mkgmap you can make pretty much
anything appear as anything - in order to show them you've got to pick
something to map them to, and I guess that's what he's picked.  There's
no "official" Garmin OSM map, just a number of widely used ones.  If you
want them to appear as something else pick another download or create
your own.

For my own mkgmap maps I do instead:

barrier=gate [0x2f0f resolution 23 default_name 'Gate']
barrier=stile [0x2f14 resolution 23 default_name 'Stile']

and if you create your own maps, you can pick whatever you want.  There
are various bits of help for how to do that - for example here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/How_to_create_a_map

and if you search for "mkgmap" in help.osm.org you'll also get answers
there.

Cheers,
Andy