logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] exclude words from city / state

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Dec 6 18:42:57 GMT 2011

On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 04:36:15PM +0000, Jaakko Helleranta.com wrote:
>Add
>short_name / short_name:[lang]
>to data as need and use them if they are available and
>name / name:[lang] if not?

There is also official_name. They are not being used consistently, but I
guess that a step to the right direction would be if you added all of
the following labels:

official_name
short_naem
name (equal to official_name, I guess)

and possibly also suffixed with :de, :en, whatever, as appropriate.

If you add :lang variants, make sure that the label without the : suffix
is equal to one of the language variants. In this way, you do not need
to apply any black magic to determine which language a label is in. (In
Finland, some mappers omit name:fi or name:sv and only use name,name:fi
or name,name:sv instead of name,name:sv,name:fi because it is "obvious"
which language the name is in.)

>I think this is not documented (and I don't remember having even
>checked how widely it's used, probably not very widely) but it would b
>logical and would make it possible to use this more generally. I guess
>you could also use the loc_name, reg_name, nat_name tags for getting
>what u want through fixing the data.

I think that augmenting the data is the right approach.

	Marko