logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address search in czech republic

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Mon Nov 28 22:59:22 GMT 2011

> Hi WanMil,

>>> Ok, I have it now working:
>>>
>>> 1. the czech_republic extract from geofabrik is broken. My guess
>>>      is they cut again too much away. I created now my own extract.
>>> 2. I did use the name-tag-list option. It looks like this option
>>>      is incompatible with locator support.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to ignore the name-tag-list option for mkgmap:city
>>> and mkgmap:admin_level* ? I think that would help a lot to get
>>> the address search more reliable.
>>>
>>>     Thorsten
>>>

>> Hi Thorsten,
>>
>> what exactly do you mean with 'incompatible'?
>>
>> At the moment it is not possible to ignore the name-tag-list option. Can
>> you give an example why this would be useful?
>
> Ok, what I did was:
>
> Use --name-tag-list="name:de,int_name,name:en,name"
>
> The city "Praha" is now translated to "Prague".

?? I would expect that it is translated to "Prag". After looking at the
boundary it should remain at "Praha" at all, because the city relation
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/439840) contains the
name=Praha only.

> Search for the street "Lihovarska" in the City "Prague"
> with MapSource (MapSource version doesn't matter).
> You will get an error message "The selected street is not valid
> in this map product. Please select a different street."
> You will get this for all streets in all citys, where another
> translation for name is choosen than the local "name".

I think this is not a locator problem but a problem of the address index
format. The locator is responsible to assign the city, region and
country names to the street. As long as this is done the street should
be findable.

> If I don't use the name-tag-list option, the name of the city
> is "Praha" and search works fine.

Mmmh, maybe there is a problem with the place POIs. AFAIK the place POIs
are used to generate the data for the Find => City whereas the relation
is used by the locator to generate the data for the Find => Address
function. Maybe there is a kind of conflict.

> So why I would like to have the name-tag-list ignored: I would
> like to search for POI with the "international names", because
> most of the time I don't know the local name, but address search
> should of course still be working.

 From my point of view the address search is only one part of the
problem. You (or someone else) will have the same problem with the name
of the POI. Noone would search the Cologne Cathedral
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/4532022) using the value of the
name tag "Hohe Domkirche St. Peter und Maria". Germans would search for
the value of the nat_name tag ("Kölner Dom").

There might be several other examples where you like to have more
control which name tag is used. That's not an address search problem only.

WanMil