logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to debug: IE instead of IRL

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Mon Nov 28 22:24:21 GMT 2011

> On Mon, Nov 28, WanMil wrote:
>
>> Hi Thorsten,
>>
>> I've observed such a problem once although I cannot fully adapt it to
>> your problem. Anyhow I'll describe what happens in mkgmap so you might
>> have an idea yourself?!
>
>> What might have happened in your case is:
>> 1. You have used different name-tag-list values for different tiles (is
>> that possible? I should know but I am unsure...). Anyhow the country
>> abbreviation should be the same because it is always taken from the
>> LocatorConfig.xml.
>
> No, I don't use different name-tag-list values for different tiles.
> And meanwhile I found out that the country abbreviation is always
> the one from "--country-abbr=XYZ", independent of which value is
> specified here. Since the island Ireland consists of two countrys,
> the value is always wrong for both states. Between, only the
> country Ireland is wrong, North-Irland is always correct.

I am not sure if I understand you correct: Northern Ireland is always
correct (which means abbrevation is GBR) whereas Republic of Ireland is
always incorrect (which means abbreveation is the value of
--country-abbr). Did you mean that?

Anyhow you provided two error messages as examples. Both are located in
the country Republic of Ireland.
[...,mkgmap:admin_level2=IE,mkgmap:country=IE]
[...,mkgmap:admin_level2=IRL,mkgmap:country=IRL]

The first way shows the problem very good. The mkgmap:admin_level2 tag
is set to IE, so there must be a precompiled boundary with the tags
admin_level=2 and nameXXX=IE where nameXXX is one of the tags set by
name-tag-list. I have searched the precompiled bounds of Oct 16th (you
are using them?) but I couldn't find such a boundary so far. So at the
moment I have no idea about the problem...

>> 2. The precompiled bounds of Ireland might have been incomplete so that
>> the admin_level2 boundary did not cover the full area of Ireland.
>
> The precompiled bounds are yours. Between, the latest world tar.gz
> archive from November is broken, I always get CRC errors when trying
> to unpack it.

I have downloaded the world_bounds_20111106.tar.gz. I do not have
problems unpacking it. I have used 7-zip to create the tar.gz. Maybe
that causes a problem?

>> If you can reproduce the problem you can send me your splitter settings,
>> your mkgmap parameters including your style files. Then I can have a
>> look on it.
>
> I tared up the whole directory, since it isn't that big:
>
> http://osm.thkukuk.de/ireland.tar.bz2
>
> Change into that directory and call:
> "mkgmap --style-file=style/ --country-name=ireland --country-abbr=EU --series-name=TK-Ireland-Basemap --family-name=TK-OSM-EU --area-name=EU --overview-mapname=TK-OSM-Ireland-Basemap --tdbfile --latin1 --bounds=bounds --location-autofill=bounds,nearest,is_in --add-pois-to-areas --reduce-point-density-polygon=8 --min-size-polygon=8 --make-opposite-cycleways --remove-short-arcs --adjust-turn-headings --route --net --generate-sea=extend-sea-sectors '--pois-to-areas-placement=entrance=main;entrance=yes;building=entrance;barrier=entrance' --index -c mkgmap.cfg --gmapsupp -c maps.cfg --description=TK-Ireland-Basemap TK_EU.TYP"
>
> You need to adjust the bounds option of course.

Thanks, I will try that.

WanMil