logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Why does splitter limit the number of threads?

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Mon Nov 28 19:34:15 GMT 2011

> Hello list,
>
> the current implementation limits the number of threads to the number of
> available cores.
> I changed the code to allow +2 threads. This results in a much better
> throughput on my dual core machine
> (e.g. germany.osm.pbf is 100 seconds or 17% faster) with r190 + patchv7.
> What could be the reason for this limit?
>
> ciao,
> Gerd

Hi,

I think I have introduced this limitation a long time ago with the first
multithreaded implementation of splitter.
I remember that in this first multithreaded implementation it was very
important that the reader thread was not dormant. The limitation of the
max-threads parameter ensured that.

But that's a long time ago and I am happy removing this limitation if it
improves the performance (at least for someone).

WanMil