logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Markup for address search

From Steve Hosgood steve at stoneship.org.uk on Fri Nov 18 14:26:57 GMT 2011

Folks:

Is there any documentation for how to mark up areas so that mkgmap (with
help from MapSource) can make the streets searchable?

So far I gather that you need to mark areas (containing streets) with:

1) A relation of "type=multiploygon" with at least one way (with the
"role" of "outer") where the way has minimal tags of: "is_in=",
"place=", "place_name=" plus (optionally) "postal_code=". It seems that
"landuse=residential" can also be present, but I think this only affects
the shading on a rendered map, nothing to do with address searching.

Alternatively:
2) A relation of "type=multiploygon" where the relation also carries
tags of: "is_in=", "place=", "place_name=" plus (optionally)
"postal_code=". As above, it seems that "landuse=residential" can also
be present, but I think this only affects the shading on a rendered map,
nothing to do with address searching. The relation needs at least one
way (with the "role" of "outer") where the way doesn't need any other tags.

Alternatively:
3) A relation of "type=boundary" with other tags of "admin_level=",
"boundary=administrative" and "name=". It must contain at least one way
(whose "role" can be missing) where the way has minimal tags of:
"is_in=", "place=", "place_name=" plus (optionally) "postal_code=". As
above, it seems that "landuse=residential" can also be present, but I
think this only affects the shading on a rendered map, nothing to do
with address searching.

Alternatively:
4) A relation of "type=boundary" with other tags of "admin_level=",
"boundary=administrative" and "name=" plus tags of: "is_in=", "place=",
"place_name=" plus (optionally) "postal_code=". As above, it seems that
"landuse=residential" can also be present, but I think this only affects
the shading on a rendered map, nothing to do with address searching. The
relation needs at least one way (whose "role" can be missing) where the
way doesn't need any other tags.

Am I anywhere close?
Steve