logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r2092: Translate motor_vehicle and vehicle access rules.

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Nov 16 11:18:26 GMT 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:29:08AM +0100, Colin Smale wrote:
>I see that the default style now effectively translates motor_vehicle
>to motorcar. Looking at the wiki and according to my understanding,
>motor_vehicle is a hypernym covering motorcar, hgv, psv etc etc. So now
>motor_vehicle=no will prohibit cars, but allow buses and trucks?

There is no special bus routing in the Garmin map format, is there?

I think that we should concentrate on the routing flags that exist in
the Garmin format.

One thing that may be broken because of this is is 'delivery',
'emergency' and 'taxi' routing. Does anyone know how these work, and
have suggestions how to fix this or other special routing?

Not being a Windows or Mac OS X user, the only routing that I can try is
the one on my Garmin Edge 705. It only supports foot, bicycle,
car(shortest) and car(fastest) with some avoidance options (unpaved
roads, major roads, toll roads).

>Not sure if it is any better, but I have the following to handle
>motor_vehicle, which basically prohibits everything and then allows
>things which are not counted as a motor vehicle.
>
>     highway=* & motor_vehicle!=yes
>         {add access='${motor_vehicle}'; add foot=yes; add bicycle=yes;
>add mofa=yes; add moped=yes; add horse=yes}

The mofa, moped, horse should be ignored by mkgmap, unless you have
other rules that depend on them. There could be some strange combination
of (conflicting) access parameters where your rule works better than
mine, or where my rule works better than yours. I am open to change the
rule I committed if I get some examples.

Best regards,

	Marko