logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Cutting down the default style

From Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com on Thu Nov 10 13:45:56 GMT 2011

n Willink <nw at pinns.co.uk> writes:

> Creating a default TYP catering for everyone's needs is a no brainer. It
> would mean standardising type numbers which in my opinion won't be popular
> and indeed impair current flexibility:
> Cyclists and walkers rarely agree on what needs to rendered;to the former
> benches may be clutter,to the latter cycle hire shops a luxury.

I don't follow this, and I wonder if I'm confused.   As I see it

  a TYP defines a way to render a (possibly large) set of feature codes

  a style maps osm tags to feature codes

  feature codes don't have much to do with routing; there is other data
  also mapped by the style file that controls that

So if a TYP has a lot of renderings, then there can be different styles
using them.  An example of this is Charlie's 'mapsource' and 'gps'
styles, which use the same TYP, but have webmap-style casings and
traditional-top-style lines respectively.

Are you saying that if there are 4 fill patterns for forest with
different codes, then that's somehow a problem (vs people just choosing
which they want)?  Is the issue running out of codes, or the TYP getting
huge, or ?