logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Tags hiding roads?

From David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net on Tue Nov 8 10:48:49 GMT 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 13:06 +0100, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, David Fletcher wrote:
>
> > Until a couple of years ago, I was working as an electronics/software
> > engineer, so I do have an understanding of the syntax of the code that
> > was being posted here earlier today. Unfortunately, together with
> > various other circumstances, I became so tired of the people I was
> > having to work for, and of being repeatedly made redundant, that I
> > decided that at my time of life the most sensible thing for me to do was
> > have a complete career change. So, in about one hour, I have an
> > appointment to deliver my second driving lesson.
> >
> > As for Open Street Map / Garmin maps, I think that if a road is rendered
> > as expected on the web site, it is reasonable to expect that same road
> > to appear on my Garmin device without an ordinary user / contributor
> > having to go delving into the technicalities to get it to work properly.
>
> If you was an electronics/software engineer, you should know that
> we are all only humans who makes mistakes. You cannot avoid that.
>
> And you don't need to go into technicality details to get it work
> propoerly, normally you should inform the person who is creating
> the map, so that he can debug and fix the bug.

Yes I put my hands up and admit that I was being a little mischievous
here. I know all about the old garbage-in produces garbage-out
principle, but I was trying to make a point as if I were ignorant of the
operation of computers and software, just like many Internet users who
have probably downloaded the Garmin map and may or may not have noticed
that there is a fault with it, but have no idea how to approach fixing
the problem.

It looks like in this case, the garbage in question is an admin_level
tag that should not have been placed directly on a road. So, for now, I
have an answer to my problem, thanks. I used the Open Street Map message
service to pass on the text of the reply about this, to the person who
objected to me removing the tags in the first place, to give him chance
to respond. If I hear nothing from him in a couple of days I will see if
I can somehow convert the tag into a relation.

Dave