logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Tags hiding roads?

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Mon Nov 7 18:24:33 GMT 2011

> The beginners' documentation for mkgmap isn't very newbie-friendly,
> though
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/How_to_create_a_map and
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/Custom_styles are
> definitely worth a read if you've not seen them already.  Without doing
> anything too complicated it's possible to figure out how to add new
> entries to one of the style files so that "thing X" gets rendered a bit
> like "thing Y" but as a different Garmin item.

I agree! The "How to create a map" was intended to be the first (but
only the first) step into mkgmap. It would be great if someone could
continue to improve the documentation in the wiki with beginner and
advanced examples and explanations.

A first step could also be to improve the help texts for the options.
Some options are explained very short and without detailed knowledge of
mkgmap you have no chance to figure out what's the real effect of the
option.

WanMil