logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Cutting down the default style

From Roger Calvert roger at rogercalvert.me.uk on Mon Nov 7 18:40:04 GMT 2011

I don't want to comment specifically on any of the recent topics, but I
think there is a general point which is worth making.

A very flexible system is when the program (mkgmap) holds only
information about data structures. Data values are held in the
configuration (style) file and the actual input files. It is the
configuration file which should carry out customisation for a particular
purpose.

Rather than putting extra specific data values in mkgmap, some extra
facilities for style files (such as the suggestion that it should be
possible to access mkgmap internal constants) and a number of different
sample (default) styles would give flexibility both now and for future
developments. It might also be possible to incorporate more of the
mkgmap command line options in the style file.

Roger

Roger Calvert