logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Cutting down the default style

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Nov 7 12:24:35 GMT 2011

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 02:01:32PM +0200, Rich wrote:
>would it be possible to create such default layer styles ? so user
>could use them without designing their own style.

Sure, that is my idea.

A while back, I suggested that we should try to create multiple map
layers in one pass. For example, the various routes-* styles currently
need to be processed separately. It takes a few minutes per layer for
Finland. Almost all of this time is needed for parsing the map data.
Even a "null" style needs this much time. But, this is just an
optimization, not strictly needed to make the style change happen.

>for example, i find power lines very useful outside of large cities,
>which is where i do quite some mapping work. same goes for buildings -
>i'd actually want to see them in some more distinct colour in the
>default style files, currently they are nearly invisible. but seeing
>them allows me to better decide what data to collect.

Right, I have similar needs myself. However, last summer when I was
bicycling in the middle of nowhere, I got a bit distracted by power
lines looking like roads (1-pixel wide line at wide zoom levels). So, I
do understand people who want to be able to disable or enable the
"clutter" when using the GPS unit.

	Marko