logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Tags hiding roads?

From David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net on Mon Nov 7 11:03:41 GMT 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 10:50 +0100, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 07, David Fletcher wrote:
>
> > I have a problem with a stretch of road which is missing from my Garmin
> > and causing crazy instructions i.e. turn around and find another way.
> > Please take a look at Open Street Map here:-
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.44952&lon=-2.38914&zoom=16&layers=M
> > where the first section of the road called Freezinghill Lane which heads
> > south-westwards from the A420 is missing from the map on my Garmin. I
> > believe this problem is caused by somebody adding a tag to the road to
> > make it serve as a parish boundary as well as a road.
> >
> > Or is it confusing mkgmap with an unexpected input combination?
>
> Not mkgmap, but if the style does not handle this correct, yes,
> this can happen.
> I always use "continue" for boundarys and don't see this problem
> with my cards.
>
>   Thorsten

I'm getting the impression that, for an ordinary user who wants to make
contributions to the Open Street Map community then reap the reward of
free mapping, what I will call "the system" as a whole is a little
inaccessible.

Until a couple of years ago, I was working as an electronics/software
engineer, so I do have an understanding of the syntax of the code that
was being posted here earlier today. Unfortunately, together with
various other circumstances, I became so tired of the people I was
having to work for, and of being repeatedly made redundant, that I
decided that at my time of life the most sensible thing for me to do was
have a complete career change. So, in about one hour, I have an
appointment to deliver my second driving lesson.

As for Open Street Map / Garmin maps, I think that if a road is rendered
as expected on the web site, it is reasonable to expect that same road
to appear on my Garmin device without an ordinary user / contributor
having to go delving into the technicalities to get it to work properly.

At this time, I have no idea at all what a style is or how it affects
the working of mkgmap.

I do know how to gather tracking information, upload it to the Open
Street Map web site, and use the editor there to add roads, footpaths
etc. to the database.

I do not know how to use "continue" to avoid what appears to be clashes
between tags that are preventing "the system" working properly for me.

Dave