logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Tags hiding roads?

From David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net on Mon Nov 7 09:44:22 GMT 2011

Hi there everybody!

I'm new to this list. Since I bought an eTrex Legend HCx, I've been
making my own contributions to Open Street Map and using the free
mapping from the http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ web site for car
navigation etc.

This may or may not be a -dev question but I read that because this is
the only mkgmap list, anything goes.

I have a problem with a stretch of road which is missing from my Garmin
and causing crazy instructions i.e. turn around and find another way.
Please take a look at Open Street Map here:-
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.44952&lon=-2.38914&zoom=16&layers=M
where the first section of the road called Freezinghill Lane which heads
south-westwards from the A420 is missing from the map on my Garmin. I
believe this problem is caused by somebody adding a tag to the road to
make it serve as a parish boundary as well as a road.

Or is it confusing mkgmap with an unexpected input combination?

Part of the A46 which is nearby, and joins the A420 to the M4 motorway
was also missing. I caused annoyance to at least one other Open Street
Map user by deleting some of these tags. The A46 now appears to be
intact on the map on my Garmin.

I just noticed that the Garmin mapping site has been updated again in
the last couple of days, but I have to use my device to navigate to a
customer in an hour or so, so I'm not going to update it at this time.

Regards,

Dave Fletcher