logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] gmapsupp visible in Basecamp

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Sat Oct 22 16:24:37 BST 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 04:46:06PM +0200, Ben Konrath wrote:
>On my unit I've have seen a problem where the routing would use the
>basemap if a road from the basemap was closer than any road from in my
>map.

I have seen it when the way closest to the destination point in the
mkgmap-generated map is part of a "routing island". I guess that we
should consider translating highway=pedestrian as ways (not areas) in
the default style, to fix this problem. I fixed it by adding a way
through the pedestrian area, but it is only a matter of time before
someone "rights this wrong" by deleting the routing way again.

In "demo mode", my Garmin Edge 705 even jumped my current location 1 or
2 km to south so that the route would start closer to a way on the
basemap.

>Is there a bug report database for mkgmap where we can collect
>information about this problem?

There is http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/known_issues. This
problem does not seem to be mentioned there.

Are there "routing islands" on commercial maps? Are there tools for
checking that in Garmin maps?

Best regards,

	Marko