logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] (Fixed by workround) Bizarre flooding in South Wales

From Steve Hosgood steve at stoneship.org.uk on Thu Oct 13 14:46:35 BST 2011

On 2011-10-13 14:07, Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
> Following the coastline to check whether it enters the current tile
> again will work in Great Britain but may fail in continental Europe.
> The Geofabrik Europe extract does not have a closed coastline after
> all. That would have to go all around Asia and back.

That's right!

What, you mean it doesn't go round Asia?? :-(

Notice that once you've done the miserable tour of Asia once, then it's
OK to split the resulting "Europe" tile to get a tile for just "Poland"
(say) because the coastline to the east of Europe's area (i.e. around
Asia) would by now have simplified to just a couple of straight
(invisible, out-of-bounds) lines.

> So yes, following the coastline out of the tile somehow is a good
> idea. But no, it is not as simple as following it until it enters the
> tile again :(.
>
> - Bartosz

Hmm - I don't know about that. Maybe with the data the way it is now,
but I argue that we've got the data wrong if so.

Steve