logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Support for motor_vehicle=*

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Oct 10 20:36:25 BST 2011

On 10.10.2011 20:23, Colin Smale wrote:
> Having retagged some roads in my area as a result of some changes to
> road layouts, I noticed that my Garmin was routing me over a bit of road
> which I had tagged "motor_vehicle=no". The road is signposted with the
> usual "No Motor Vehicles" sign (red ring containing a car above a
> motorcycle) which, according to both the NL and general wikis should be
> tagged as "motor_vehicle=no". This is also supported by the fact that
> Potlatch2 includes an easily accessible facility to set this tag.
>
> Having browsed through the source and the style files I could find no
> reference to the motor_vehicle tag, which surprised me a bit... Anyway I
> fixed it for me by adding a single instruction to the "lines" file:
>
> # add support for motor_vehicle
> highway=*&  motor_vehicle!=yes
>       {add access='${motor_vehicle}'; add foot=yes; add bicycle=yes; add
> mofa=yes; add moped=yes; add horse=yes}
>
> This handles motor_vehicle=no and motor_vehicle=destination ("except for
> access" in the UK for example). I assume "motor_vehicle=yes" (don't know
> when one might use this) will work properly anyway.
you can do whatever you want for moped or mofa. They don't exist for a
Garmin GPS, so drop em. Not even motorcycle exist, so simply forget it
quick again.

> The moped and mofa tags reflect the rules here in NL, where these
> vehicles are not counted as motor vehicles for the purposes of this
> sign. If these subtleties are different in other countries, it can
> easily be adapted by referencing mkgmap:country.
>
> Is this a reasonable way to do this? If so, could it be added to the
> standard mkgmap distribution?
No a reasonable rule would be
highway=* & motor_vehicle=no
{set motorcar=no; set hgv=no; addt bus=no; add taxi=no; add truck=no;
add emergency=no; add delivery=no}

or another way would be to do
highway=* & motor_vehicle=* { add motorcar='${motor_vehicle}'; add
bus=...... and so on but don't touch foot or bicycle especially adding
yes is nonsense - yes is the default anyhow }