logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] OSM maps on the new eTrex 30

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Oct 6 19:23:17 BST 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 08:09:12PM +0200, Frank Fesevur wrote:
>Since I never have needed this so I have to see if there is a way to
>test this without having to go somewhere.

If I power on my Edge 705 indoors away from windows, in a few minutes it
will give up trying to find satellites and pop up a menu where I can
pick the current location from the map. If I subsequently select demo
mode, I can navigate to points around the location that I chose.

I just did this today in order to prepare for a business trip abroad.
Thanks to Lambertus for providing the map download service! (And thanks
to the mappers, my destination looks well mapped.) There is no way I
would download hundreds of megabytes of osm.pbf extract and start
splitting it myself. I can barely do the 90-megabyte Finland.

>Anyone any hints where to start looking?

I guess that there are some parks or pedestrian areas where cars are not
allowed. Similarly, some highway=trunk could have foot=no or bicycle=no.
(Garmin could treat highway=motorway specially even with this new
breakage, and keep forbidding bicycles and pedestrians from them. You
could check that as well.)

Best regards,

	Marko