logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing question

From Francisco Moraes francisco.moraes at gmail.com on Sat Sep 10 19:12:23 BST 2011

On 2:59 PM, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> Is this just a Garmin bug? Can you try routing a shorter distance? For
> example, start from the Davis Dr close to the Old Jenkins Rd and ask
> for a route to the US64W ramp.
I tried this. There several points south of Old Jenks Rd that still want
to do that funny detour to get to the ramp. Only when I get close to
that service road marked with access=private that it starts to route
normally. I am thinking of trying to change that service road and see if
it makes any difference.
> One more thing: In 2010, Mark Burton implemented support for a
> through_route relation that could be useful in cases like this. I do
> not know the specifics; I only know that bicycle routing generally
> produces stupid routes because Garmin is cheating (ignoring cycleways)
> in the middle part of long routes. There is a route=bicycle relation
> on the Davis Drive, but it should not affect the routing behavior, as
> far as I understand.
Well, I hope someone else has a different idea on this one. I tried with
a Garmin map and there is no such a problem, so the issue is exclusively
on the OSM map created via mkgmap.

Thanks for the reply.

Francisco