logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Highway shields

From Clinton Gladstone clinton.gladstone at googlemail.com on Mon Sep 5 21:58:24 BST 2011

On Sep 5, 2011, at 0:43, Francisco Moraes wrote:

> Does mkgmap support all possible highway shields that Garmin supports?
> Is there any documentation on how to use them to achieve the US highway
> symbols and some of the state symbols as well?

This is what I have from a previous response. It should still be valid:

You need to add highway-symbol prefixes to your lines style file. Example:

highway=motorway {name '${ref|highway-symbol:hbox} ${name}' |
'${ref|highway-symbol:hbox}' | '${name|highway-symbol:hbox}'

From the source code, these are the possible values for highway shields:

		"interstate" // US Interstate
		"shield" // US Highway shield
		"round" // US Highway round
		"hbox" // box with horizontal bands
		"box"; // Square box
		"oval" // box with rounded end

The US symbols display only numeric values (e.g., "1", "401", etc).
The others are alphanumeric (e.g. "A5").

Cheers