logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] polygon splitting/more than 255 polygons errors

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Fri Sep 2 16:32:27 BST 2011

> Hi Richard,
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have recently downloaded some mkgmap generated maps that produce this error when displayed
>> in navit:
>> :garmin_obj.c:1279:1|:Error more than 255 polygons/lines in a subdiv are not supported
>
> This does not look like an mkgmap problem to me. Reading the error
> message I assume that navit does not support subdivisions containing
> more than 255 polygons + lines. But as far as I know there is no such a
> limit for garmin devices.

I have taken a look into the source code.
There is a limit for 255 lines with garmin id < 0x010000 per subdivision
but no single limit for polygons. Lines, points and shapes with garmin
id > 0x010000 have their own limits based on the size they need.

But I wonder why there is no single limit for polygons. Only the overall
size of points+lines+polygons is limited to 65528 bytes. Maybe this is
wrong?