logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Memory Consumption on Index Creation

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Tue Aug 30 16:23:08 BST 2011

On 29/08/11 08:31, Felix Hartmann wrote:
> 1. I noticed that (at least for my style-file) 7500MB of RAM available
> does not suffice to compile a map of Europe including index! However if
> I recreate the index in another go, then it is no problem.
>
> How comes? The index creation seems to be completly independent of the
> maptiles creation. Is mkgmap leaving stuff inside the memory, that is in
> reality not needed anymore?

Yes, the index is completely independent of the map tile creation phase
and all the memory used for a single map tile is released after it is
finished.

Profiling confirmed in my tests that all the memory was indeed released.

Also if the memory was not released you would see gradually increasing
memory usage the more tiles that were compiled at once.  Do you see an
evidence of that happening?

So I can't reproduce this at the moment.

I do have some ideas for some reduction in the memory use by the index
generation.

..Steve