logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Coastline issues - analysis and possible solution

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Aug 29 19:54:38 BST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 07:08:44PM +0300, Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
>Absolutely. What I uploaded yesterday were snapshots based on the most
>recent Geofabrik Europe extract and the most recent full planet.  If
>these prove useful, I will make the generation a batch job so that the
>coastlines updated whenever a new Geofabrik Europe extract or full
>planet are made.

This would be great.

If you have the disk space, you might also keep N latest coastline
extracts, so that when the coastline gets broken somewhere, a
work-around of using an older extract exists.

>>Boundary extracts could be nice too, but I suppose that the Geofabrik
>>country extracts already include all the boundary=administrative lines
>>of the country.
>
>This is an interesting point. The boundary files seem to be updated
>about once a month right now. If there is interest in such boundary
>extracts, I could see what I can do on our servers.

I will probably change my workflow so that I will generate the boundary
data directly from the Geofabrik finland.osm.pbf, but I suppose it could
be very useful for others. Right now, many boundaries inside Finland are
either non-existent or broken.

	Marko