logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Coastline issues - analysis and possible solution

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Mon Aug 29 08:43:33 BST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:08:26AM +0300, Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
>This is why I collected the coastlines for all of Europe in a single
>file. When all European coastlines are available, you no longer have to
>tweak tile boundaries.

There are a few drawbacks to that approach. First, you will have to
download and process much more data than just the country extract.
Second, if the continent extract was generated at a different time than
the country extract and there have been edits to the coastline, your map
might not correspond to any snapshot of the OSM database.

>>I think that it could be useful to have the tile-splitter support a
>>set of fixed tiles that it would split itself further as needed.
>
>I presume you would then use this so that you extract a larger region
>and then let the splitter generate tiles for a subset of this region?

Right, the idea is to make the combined bounding box of the
splitter-generated tiles something else than a rectangle. If we ensure
that all coastlines that were "cut open" in the Geofabrik extract will
have their endpoints outside the splitter-generated coastline, the
flooding should be gone.

>With a sufficient margin of safety between the two regions, this should
>work by providing the splitter with coastline data even when tiles grow
>due to rounding.

Right.

I wonder if Geofabrik or some other entity could start providing a
little wider coastline extracts that are in sync with the Geofabrik
country extracts. Boundary extracts could be nice too, but I suppose
that the Geofabrik country extracts already include all the
boundary=administrative lines of the country.

	Marko