logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Memory Consumption on Index Creation

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Aug 29 08:31:22 BST 2011

1. I noticed that (at least for my style-file) 7500MB of RAM available
does not suffice to compile a map of Europe including index! However if
I recreate the index in another go, then it is no problem.

How comes? The index creation seems to be completly independent of the
maptiles creation. Is mkgmap leaving stuff inside the memory, that is in
reality not needed anymore?

2. Also as running out of memory primarily happens on index creation, it
would be great if mkgmap writes out the index under a temporary name,
and once it has passed correctly, renames the file. Else it is not
possible to easily assess in a bash/batch script whether mkgmap
completed the map correctly or not (and hence one uploads broken maps if
everything automated). Or at least I don't see any way to find out
whether it passed correctly or not.