logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing - Documentation and Best Practice

From Minko ligfietser at online.nl on Mon Aug 22 11:55:12 BST 2011

I think Klaus deals with the same problems that my cycle map users have pointed me when using the latest releases of Basecamp.
See http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13384&p=2 (in Dutch but you can use google translate)

Not only my maps are affected but in fact all OSM/mkgmap and some other maps compiled with cgpsmapper (like the Onroute Motor and cycling maps).  We have posted this problem on the Garmin forum, see http://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=21681&page=5

I'm trying to figure out what Basecamp has changed and noticed that the road selection slider has become more powerfull. On my bikemap I've made cycleways the major highway by giving them the highest road_class (4) and a high road_speed (3, not 7 because the navigation warnings came way too early otherwise). When pushing the road selection slider towards the highways to the right, routing is forced now on cycleways which sometimes works much better than in Mapsource. A negative aspect is that the access=no bicycle=no foot=no etc parameters are ignored in the latest basecamp releases (3.2.1/3.2.2) so I'm working on some fixes in the style sheerts. One work arounnd is moving all the bicycle=no tagged roads to non routable lines, but this doesnt work for multi-purpose maps. Another negative aspect is that some users found out that avoidance of carpool lanes breaks the routing (like Klaus expererienced too). I have tried to avoid steps by giving them a mkgmap:unpaved=1 tag but Basecamp seems to ignore this too... I'll have to do more testing on this and I'm looking forward to new ideas.

Minko