logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Mkgmap dropping data

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Tue Aug 2 18:52:08 BST 2011

> I had another go with splitter this morning and it worked out. But it's
> strange.
> If I split Hungary into 3-4 pieces, the eastern part is usually OK. But
> even if I split Hungary into 33 pieces I get bad areas on the western
> part or near Budapest. I splitted it to 36 and it worked with this command:
> java -Xmx1024m -jar splitter.jar --max-nodes=110000
> c:\osm\osmdata\hungary.osm.pbf

What do you mean exactly with bad areas?
Maybe you can send an image to show that.

Usually for polygons it is better to select a higher max-nodes and/or
overlap parameter in the tile splitter because this increases the
probability that the polygons are contained completely in the tile data.

> But why is it that Eastern Hungary is OK with a million nodes? Is it
> because it's not so well mapped and it has less relations and/or errors?
> Can I somehow rejoin the parts to have less areas?
>
> It would be useful if mkgmap would send a message which areas it
> couldn't render and why.
>
> Another question:
> Was I totally wrong using Osmosis to split the data or is there a method
> which works with routing? To have counties is a bit nicer. I used the
> following (obviously breaks data):
> call osmosis.bat --read-pbf c:\osm\osmdata\hungary.osm.pbf
> --bounding-polygon file=c:\osm\osmdata\county_boundaries\pest.poly
> completeWays=no completeRelations=no clipIncompleteEntities=true
> --write-xml c:\osm\osmdata\counties\pest.osm

I cannot say for sure but I would expect that using non rectangular
tiles is not really supported by mkgmap.